About the Governor's Residence
The Governor's Residence is a modified Georgian Colonial home which was formally opened on March 17, 1958. Governor Anderson was the first to live here.
The architect was Selmer Solheim & Associates. The residence features 31 rooms, including 5 bedrooms and 12 bathrooms... 4 fireplaces and a 3-stall garage.
In April, 1997, Mrs. Diane Nelson announced that 40 years of wear had taken its toll on the residence, and a fund-raising project to restore the residence to its original elegance was initiated. Today, with the help of 51 designers, many generous Nebraskans and $100,000 from the sale of Bill Orr's cookbook... the home has been remodeled from top to bottom. Included in the project were structural changes that had to be made... ADA accessibility (including the installation of an elevator)... smoke detection equipment and a fire sprinkler system... new wiring and lighting throughout the house... new window, air flow modifications... asbestos removal... and updated security equipment. It took 18 months to complete the renovation.
The renovation was completed and reopened to the public in August, 1998.